O'Sullivan was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on March 19, 1874.
As a boy he studied at Saint Xavier School in Louisville and later
entered the University of Notre Dame in Indiana. He became a student
for the priesthood for the Diocese of Louisville and studied at
Saint Bernard Seminary in Rochester, New York. He was ordained in
Shortly after his ordination, doctors
told him he suffered from tuberculosis and he would most likely
be an invalid for the short part of his life that was left to him.
Seeking a climate that would make is illness easier to bear he spent
time in both Texas and Arizona. He met Father Quetu, who was taking
care of the parishoners by saying Mass weekly for them, in Tucson,
Arizona. Father Quetu suggested that perhaps the abandoned Mission
might provide O'Sullivan with a limited ministry and be some consolation
to the young priest.
O'Sullivan decided to visit San Juan
Capistrano and, as he stepped off the train and walked the short
distance to the Mission, he saw and fell in love with the magnificent
ruins. "The place appealed to him: it was like himself, whose
body was gone in decay", wrote Henry Bedford-Jones. O'Sullivan
was put in charge of the ruins of Mission San Juan Capistrano on
July 5, 1910. He set up a makeshift tent among the arches in the
corridor of the Serra Chapel because the old living quarters of
Father Mut were filled with insects. He drew close to the villagers
and Juanenos and learned much of the history of the Mission.
Father O'Sullivan began to dream. He
knew what the Mission had been and he now dreamed of what it could
be again. Not knowing when his life might suddenly be cut off, he
labored only for the present. He began to store old tile, carvings,
and other pieces of the Mission, believing that someone would come
after him and complete the restoration of the Mission. O'Sullivan
worked with his own hands, carving beams, plastering walls with
adobe, using square nails to restore parts of the Mission. Slowly
the Mission began to respond to his work and amazingly O'Sullivan's
health grew better each day.
Gathering the parishioners into a parish
organization, in 1918 the Mission was given parochial status with
Father O'Sullivan as its first modern pastor. Uppermost in the pastor's
mind was the restoration of the Serra Chapel. In 1922 this was accomplished
and the beautiful reredo from Spain was installed behind the altar.
A parish grade school was established in 1928 with the teaching
Sisters of the Immaculate Conception from Ohio.
When Monsignor St. John O'Sullivan
died in 1933 in the city of Orange, "Southern California lost
a holy priest, a great man, and a high minded citizen." His
remains lie buried in the old Mission cemetery adjacent to the Serra
* St. John O'Sullivan was his baptismal
name. This does not infer that he was a canonized Saint. Many of
Irish descent would use this form as a given name. However many
Catholics felt this was improper to have the title St. or Saint
in a given name and commonly would refer to him as "Sin-jin"
instead of St. John.
...more History & Mystery on SJC.net
Home | History of SJC | O'Neill Museum | Programs | Walking Tour | Historical Photographs | Membership | Books & CD's | Events | Contact
Sign up for
our newsletter | The Journal