The Egan House, located across from
El Adobe de Capistrano Restaurant, was constructed in 1883. After
a fire in 1897 destroyed the upper part of the structure, it was
rebuilt in 1898. The house is a Victorian/Greek Revival building.
It was built of terra cotta brick brought from San Diego. The bricks
were “left over” from a slight “miscalculation”
on the part of Richard Egan when he was ordering the bricks for
Casa Grande. Casa Grande was the former home of Marcos Forster family
on El Camino Real and which torn down in 1965.
Judge Richard Egan was born in Ireland
and settled in San Juan Capistrano in 1868. He purchased 160 acres
at $1.25 an acre on the north end of town on Camino Capistrano.
He later sold the land to R. Y. and W. B. Williams for $60,000.
He first lived in an adobe on this ranch, but the adobe was later
washed away in a flood.
Guests on Judge Egan's porch.
Lady in middle, top row, is Madame Helena
Modjeska, renowned Polish actress
In 1883 Egan built this house and named
it Harmony Hall. It was known for the social activities of Judge
Egan which included balls, picnics, dinners and parties. The Judge
was also a landowner, farmer, telegrapher, notary, surveyor, agent
for nearby landowners, keeper of rainfall records, dispenser of
charity to the needy, and a Justice of the Peace. From 1870 to1890
Judge Egan's name did not need to be on the ballot for him to be
Egan was also a Los Angeles County
Supervisor from 1885 to 1889. When Orange County was formed, he
was instrumental in defining the boundaries between the two counties.
Judge Egan was also instrumental in securing rights of way for the
Santa Fe Railroad in town.
When the house had a fire in 1897,
much of Judge Egan's historical collection of documents and artifacts
was destroyed. When he passed away the remainder of his collection
was taken by his heirs back east and since has been unable to locate
their whereabouts. William English, a well-known contractor of the
period built this Victorian/Greek Revival one and one-half story
house. It has a shingled roof and dormer windows, four rooms downstairs
and two rooms in the attic which were used for Egan's elegant balls.
In the basement was a wine cellar. The house still has the original
Over the years the house has changed
ownership many times and became at times an office, galleria, restaurant,
and now a boutique.
...more History & Mystery on SJC.net
Home | History of SJC | O'Neill Museum | Programs | Walking Tour | Historical Photographs | Membership | Books & CD's | Events | Contact
Sign up for
our newsletter | The Journal